How to Play
Crew Battles are a team game that will be played between teams with as few as 3 players and as many as 5. The team with the fewest players will determine what size the match up will be: For example, if Team 1 has 3 players and Team 2 has 5, the match will be played as a 3v3. Team 2 will need to choose which 2 players sit out for the match.
The Crew Battle Match will use the same match settings listed on the Smash Brothers Ultimate Rules Page. Though the number of Stocks will increase to 4 instead of the 3 found in the 1v1 match settings.
In order to play a Crew Battle, please follow the instructions below.
- Both teams will list the order their students will play, in match chat. Students will only need to switch who’s playing if they lose a round to the other team.
- Example: Player 1: John, Player 2: Jason, Player 3: Wendy, Player 4: Samantha, Player 5: Rick
- The first students from each team will face off in a 4 stock match
- Once a student is defeated, the next student on their team list will replace them. Defeated student’s are out of the remainder of the match.
- Using the same match settings a new game will be played between the winner of the last round and the new student.
- Before the next fight can start, the winning student from the previous round must jump off the edge of the arena until they are down to the number of stocks they had at the end of their previous match. (For example, if John had 2 of their 4 stocks remaining at the end of their last match, they would jump off the side of the stage twice. Starting their next match 2 stocks versus their new opponent’s 4.)
- Repeat this process until one team no longer has any team members remaining. The team that has all their students knocked out first loses.
- Matches are played in a best of 3 series. The first team to 2 round wins(full team knock outs) will win the match.
Switching players on an online tournament can be a little confusing compared to the usual live tournaments crew battles are normally held in. Thankfully though, we have a handy walkthrough in order to help your match flow as smoothly as possible. Teams may play from one switch if all students are playing from the same location or multiple switches if they’re playing from different locations. The process for match setups are a little different.
If Both Teams are Playing from One Switch
- If both teams are playing their matches from One Switch at their schools, players only need to hand the controller off to the next player once they have lost the match. Teams should still supply an order list in the match chat to provide a name of those participating in the match.
- Teams will only need to exchange one friend code with each other. The code should belong to the account being used for the games. A friend request should be sent to each account so that they may invite each other to a game.
If One or Both Teams are Competing from Multiple Switches
- If one or both teams are using multiple switches for the match, each player listed should also present a nintendo friend code with their name on the participation list. Before any of the matches start, friend requests should be sent out to all players participating in the match so that they can be invited to a game when it’s their turn to play.
- The same crew battle rules will apply but the winner of a round will need to invite the next player to a game.